|Job Title||Project Planning Officer|
|Post Type||Full time, permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Application deadline||Open Vacancy|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The main purpose of the job is to assist the Science Division Programme Manager by working closely with the Principal Beamline Scientists and support departments to develop project plans for the procurement, construction, installation and commissioning of a programme of new beamlines and for the upgrades of existing beamlines.
Equally comfortable working as part of a team or on your own initiative, you’ll call on keen problem-solving skills to identify areas where plans are failing. Confident communicating with people at all levels, both in person and in writing, you’ll impress us with your flair for organisation. Add to that your excellent MS Office skills, and we’d like to hear from you.
The Science Division Planning Officer responsibilities are:
- To work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientists and Support departments to create and maintain a suite of beamline project plans under change control;
- Be proactive in the appropriate monitoring of progress against the plan, highlight where the plan is not being achieved and work with the teams involved to identify issues;
- Provide timely, accurate and appropriate management information to Project Manager and Science Director to support overview of Programmes;
- Operate the Science Division change control, risk management and cost control procedures;
- Promote adherence to Project Management governance described in DLS Project Execution Plans;
- Promote Project Planning best practice within DLS by maintaining professional knowledge base and providing input into the development of DLS Project Management processes.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Degree in Science, Engineering or Project Management;
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or scientists;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
- Experienced in deploying project management tools;
- Microsoft Project 2007 with significant hands on experience of planning projects, good working knowledge of Excel;
- Logical approach to problem solving, and see issues through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills and ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Professional attention to appropriate planning standards focused on the self review of own work to identify errors and correct them, and with meticulous attention to detail;
- Commitment to continuing professional development.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Professional Institute Membership;
- Knowledge of PRINCE2 methodology or similar;
- Experience of planning and monitoring software projects;
- Experience of resource management software;
- Experience of managing projects and/or procurement contracts;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to problems;
- Able to ask constructive questions and challenge the status quo.
- Experience of working in a scientific / engineering environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.