|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate (BLI24)|
|Post Type||Full Time/ Fixed Term for 3 years|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The microfocus Macromolecular Crystallography beamline I24 provides a high flux (10^12 ph/s), versatile X-ray beam (5 - 50 µm) for the most demanding of structural biology problems. A state-of-the-art bespoke end-station, a 25Hz Pilatus 6M hybrid pixel array detector and a CATS robot for automated sample handling provide the possibility of both 100K and room temperature data collection. I24 also offers users the option of in-situ (crystallisation plate) data collection and crystal characterisation.
We are looking to recruit a highly motivated and experienced crystallographer at the Post Doctoral Research Associate level to build on recent exciting results in the fields of radiation damage, fast data collection and in-situ spectroscopy. The PDRA will exploit state of the art detector and beamline technology available at I24 to further our understanding in these fields and help shape future directions for MX.
• Work closely with I24 beamline team and technical staff to develop new methods of data measurement and analysis with a particular emphasis on room temperature and high-frame rate data collection, use of complementary methods, and understanding of radiation damage;
• Conduct scientific research and development into crystallographic methods under the guidance of the Principal and Senior Beamline Scientist;
• Publish and present research at conferences both in UK and abroad;
• Assist in developing I24 and other MX beamline capabilities in collaboration with MX staff
• Support users by providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
• Supervision of some more junior internal or external staff/contractors.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- PhD or equivalent degree in relevant research area;
- Proven ability in macromolecular crystallography;
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography data collection and data analysis;
- Experience in using synchrotron beamlines,
- Experience with Windows/ Linux/Unix;
- Proven ability to plan and carry out a research project;
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience in scientific programming;
- Experience in the preparation of protein crystal samples
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.