|Job Title||Nano Positioning Specialist|
|Post Type||Full Time/ Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are eager for a skilled specialist to join our team, and work in the Optics & Metrology laboratories. The successful candidate will help to establish and optimise a world-class, nano-instrumentation laboratory and associated metrology instruments. They will work in collaboration with scientists and technicians at Diamond to acceptance test, align and optimise a wide range of ultra-precision mechanical and computer controlled components, including linear and rotation stages.
- Operate computer controlled, metrology instruments to characterise the linear, angular and vibrational behaviour of ultra-precision, motion stages. This includes but is not limited to, interferometers, contact probes, capacitive sensors, autocollimators, inclinometers and autolevels;
- Develop and maintain expertise in nano positioning devices and metrology instruments and provide state- of- the-art solutions to Diamond scientists;
- Plan measurement strategies with metrology instuments, taking data, analysing it and presenting this information in a meaningful way to scientists, engineers and manufacturers;
- Liaise with scientists, engineers and manufacturers to procure micro- and nano positioning stages as well as represent Diamond at acceptance tests at the manufacturer's premises;
- If required, supervise and co-ordinate a small team of junior technical staff to ensure outputs are delivered on time and to a high quality;
- Develop environmental controls to monitor and minimise a range of disturbances including temperature, airflows and vibrations, neccessary to investigate nanotechnology.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Appropriate University degree, or equivalent qualification and experience;
- Significant experience in the use of nano-positioning or metrology instruments;
- Technical aptitude to operate computer controlled instruments and proficiency in the handling of delicate and intricate instruments;
- Good IT skills and data analysis skills;
- Familiarity using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Efficient time management, scheduling skills and ability to prioritise;
- Ability to analyse and communicate complex information to technical and non technical audiences via coherant reports and presentations;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibilty for delivery of work;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to work flexibly with occasional weekend or out of hours working and to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience of working in a high precision metrology lab or in nano positioning;
- Experience in using Windows/ Linux/ Unix and the ability to create simple software scripts in (Labview, Matlab and Excel) to automate and synchronise the collection and analysis of experimental data;
- Design and build simple engineering jigs.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.