|Job Title||Industrial Liaison Scientist - Engineering & Diffraction|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £32k|
|Date of interviews||20/12/2011|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require a Scientist to join our Industrial Liaison Group to develop and deliver the service offered to industrial users of Diamond in the field of X-ray powder diffraction. You will be involved in the optimisation, operation and marketing of the industrial aspects of relevant beamlines, particularly I11 and I12. As part of a multi disciplinary team you will be based in the Industrial Liaison Group but will also work closely with the beamline teams. Ideally you should have experience of working in a commercial environment.
Duties - To provide a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of X-ray powder diffraction.
Working with the Industrial Liaison Group, I11 and I12 beamline teams to:
- Develop a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of X-ray powder diffraction;
- Run the service taking responsibility for sample management, data collection and reporting to the customers;
- Assist in the commissioning of relevant beamlines alongside other beamline scientists and support staff;
- Assist in the operation of the beamlines for users including carrying out a user support role via the local contact system (specifically for industrial users);
- Assist in the marketing of the service by making presentations at conferences, participating in company visits etc.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Relevant PhD degree or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience;
- Experience in X-ray powder diffraction data collection and analysis;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotron radiation;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience in using X-ray powder diffraction synchrotron beamlines;
- Experience in data collection and analysis for X-ray tomography;
- Experience of working in a commercial environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.