|Job Title||Senior Computer Systems Administrator|
|Post Type||Permanent/ Full Time|
|Salary information||Circa £40k|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
The Diamond Synchrotron Light source is the largest scientific facility to be built in the UK for over thirty years. The facility consists of three accelerators which provide high brightness photon beams through beamlines to experiment stations. Diamond is now operational with an initial complement of experiment stations and a further ten in design and construction.
The Diamond photon beamline and experiment stations use a range of computer systems, for experiment control, data acquisition, data analysis and data storage. These are predominantly x86 based PCs, running the Linux and Windows operating systems. Local to each beamline and experiment station are servers and workstations core to supporting the science on that beamline and, in addition, there are large central computation clusters and storage servers. The availability of these systems is core to the operation of Diamond Light Source, and they are managed by a dedicated Scientific Computing Systems Administration Team.
This position’s overall role is to work in this team to design, develop, commission and support the operation of computer systems at Diamond, with a very strong emphasis on high availability and high performance storage. Diamond has a large investment in the Lustre File system and the role holder would be expected to lead the continuing development of these systems.
Depending on the skill level of the successful candidate, this position may be offered at the Systems Administrator rather than the Senior Systems Administrator level (See DIA641/SB).
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
• Honours degree in science or Equivalent other degree, BTEC HNC/HND Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer science or Equivalent other degree
• Considerable relevant experience in Systems Administration
• Expert knowledge and experience of high performance computing and networking
• Expert knowledge and experience of high performance cluster file systems Knowledge and experience of storage systems serving both Windows and Linux systems
• Knowledge and experience of system provisioning tools, design and implementation
• Knowledge and experience of system security
• Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration
• Knowledge and experience with Scripting Languages
• Understanding of requirement and realization of effective computer systems administration
• Operating in mixed Unix and Windows environment
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written
• Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary
• Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility
• Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision
• Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management
• Management and mentoring of staff
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
• Completion of a recognised Unix Systems Administration certification (Linux Professional Institute certification, Certified Solaris Administrator or similar) is desirable
• Experience of working with scientists in a scientific facility is desirable
• Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required
• Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home
• Be prepared to undertake further training
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.